Thanks for Your Donations
[TUTORIAL] Complete tutorial on installing Linux on 3.55 (WORKS FOR SLIM) *UPDATED*
Hello everybody :D in this tutorial you will learn how to install Linux on a jailbroken PS3 which has either 3.41 or 3.55 ONLY, Slim PS3's are supported! :D
PS3 (FAT OR SLIM)
USB Flash Drive at least (4GB Optional and atleast 1GB required)
USB Mouse & Keyboard (controller dosent seem to be supported yet, maybe in a later update?)
Files to download:
For 3.55 doownload this:
BootOS 2.01 (previously known as asbestos, the name was changed in this update) (currently the latest 2/26/ 2011)
For 3.41 download this:
Asbestos V 1.5
These you need for both:
LV2 patcher V9.pkg (currently the latest 2/12/ 2011)
Debian-v2.rar (this is the operating system...)
Okay, if you meet the requirements and have downloaded the files then we can move on...
Install BootOS installer & LV2 patcher V9
Put BootOSv201.pkg and LV2_patcher_v9.pkg on the root of you're flash drive, go on your PS3 and press install package files and wait for it to complete. You should all know how to do that -.-
DO NOT RUN EITHER OF THE PROGRAMS YET!!!!
Putting the linux data on your PS3
Now you have 2 options:
1. Run linux from Flash Drive (You cannot remove the flash drive while linux is running and whenever you want to use linux, the flash drive has to be plugged in to your PS3, also, no other data can be put on that flash drive or linux wont work)
2.Run linux from HDD (reccomended because nothing has to be plugged in to you're ps3 in order for linux to run)
If you choose to run from flash drive, follow these steps!
(make sure to backup any important files that are on your flash drive to your computer because formatting will wipe all data off your flash drive)
1. Plug in your USB flash drive and go to my computer
2. Right click on your flash drive and click "Format..."
3. Make the settings identical to mine:
make all the settings the same as mine!
After you're done with that...
extract debian-v2.rar to anywhere on your computer and copy linux.img it to the root of your flash drive.
extract debian-v2.rar to anywhere on your computer and either FTP linux.img to the directory dev_HDD0 (How to FTP File to your PS3) or Transfer it via flash drive and use a file manager (I reccomend Comgenie's Awesome File Manager *GOOGLE IT*) to copy linux.img to dev_HDD0.
1. If you are running linux off a flash drive, then plug the flash drive in to your PS3 (which should only have the one linux.img file in it)
2. Go on BootOS installer...it will show you some next stuff that you wont understand... blah blah....
3. after it's done it will prompt you to press X in order to exit. Press it and once it takes you back to the XMB, run the LV2 patcher, go down to linux and press X on it, it may freeze for a second or two but just wait... then a whole bunch of random stuff will come up on the screen and then it will start linux, it will ask you for a password and username which are both the following:
it then should log you in and now you have linux on your 3.55 or 3.41 fw ps3 :D
IF YOU ARE RUNNING LINUX FROM A FLASH DRIVE, YOU CANNOT REMOVE THE FLASH DRIVE THAT HAS LINUX ON IT FROM YOUR PS3
WHILE LINUX IS RUNNING. REMOVING THE FLASH DRIVE MAY CAUSE YOUR PS3
TO FREEZE WHICH MAY RESULT IN YOU HAVING TO HARD BOOT YOUR PS3
! BETTER IF YOU DON'T AND HARD BOOTING IS ANNOYING -.-.
------------------ALL CREDIT GOES TO ME FOR THIS TUTORIAL-------------------
Please leave a comment if you need help or there is a dead link and i'll see what I can do.
Last edited by uzishotz; 7th March 2011 at 08:50 PM.
+rep ime sure this will help alot of people
will this tutorial work for 3.41 as you stated that "Hello everybody in this tutorial you will learn how to install Linux on a jailbroken PS3 which has either 3.41 or 3.55 ONLY, Slim PS3's are supported! "?
Error on 3.41 -_-" BootOSv201.pkg
Last edited by SayangNadia; 27th February 2011 at 05:11 AM.
when i am on linux should i just shut down the ps3 to go back to the xmb
use asbestos v 1.5 for 3.41 I will add that in sorry :S but just so everyone knows... Bootos wont work for 3.41, however the steps are the same except ur running asbestos instead bootos
Originally Posted by SayangNadia
No, that wont takee you back to the XMB as far as I know... just press power off button.
Originally Posted by san02c21
ok - i did all this
put the linux.img file in the dev_HDD0 folder
when i run lv2 patcher - the linux installer shows up - even though its on the hdd!?
what am i doing wrong guys?????????
what do you mean the linux insttaller shows up?
Originally Posted by largewoodenspoon1015
this sounds like you're saying that when you run lv2 patcher bootOS/asbestos starts instead..
By grimms in forum PS3 Tutorials
Last Post: 31st October 2012, 09:02 PM
By fearlessturk in forum PS2 Tutorials
Last Post: 1st October 2009, 01:52 AM
Tags for this Thread